Thursday, July 17, 2008

Friendship Bread


Someone brought bags of friendship bread to the Girl Scout meeting on Monday. Then one of the leaders compared it to the ashes of campfires that are ceremoniously collected at each camping event and then spread into each new fire. The idea is that the same ashes unite all of the fires to each other. Today as I was finishing up the Dad's Plaids blocks (finally) I put together some of the "bonus" pinwheels from a quilt I made when my nephew was born last year. My quilts never seem to end. Little bits of one lead to another and the scraps from those lead on to the next. I'm thinking of putting a wide border on this one and doing some kind of appliqué. I might also experiment with some more wonky letters, but I'm not sure what they should say. The original quilt was called Zach's Shining Star, so I should try to tie that theme in somehow. Maybe something like Star Light, Star Bright. It's not very big, so I don't know how many words will fit.
One of my neighbors called this afternoon to chat and we discovered that both of our husbands were out of town for dinner. We went over to let all the kids play together and ordered some pizza for dinner. It was nice to catch up on all the neighborhood gossip and chat over a glass of wine. After I came home and got the kids put down, I did some serious chain piecing and am just about done with ALL of the blocks for the Dad's Plaids quilt. It takes a lot longer to make a king size quilt than a cute little wall hanging. Steel Magnolias was on cable, so I sat and matched up squares and cried my eyes out. I'm such a sap sometimes.

3 comments:

Donna said...

I too have "quilts that never end" not by planning but through my scrap bin... never quite sure when I'm completely done with a fabric it seems :-)

Julie said...

I had some of that friendship bread recently. It is fun - but i always end up letting it die after a few weeks. LOL

Amy said...

12:08 AM?!?!?!?!!? One of those nights, huh?
Sappy movies are great, aren't they?!?! Specially when no one is around to see the waterworks---I don't know about you, but DH ALWAYS peeks over at me at the end of movies to see if I'm crying, and then doesn't let me forget it! Annoying....

Sounds like it was an enjoyable evening :0)