Saturday, September 15, 2012

Great Day

Today was one of those days where everything just worked out well.  The kids had a full schedule, with a Lego thing, then Girl Scouts followed by a football game.  I really wanted to go to an all day quilt marathon for Quilters Against Kids Hunger.  They make quilts for kids in need which are distributed through the schools.  Last year they made 375, this year I think the total is going to be about 380.  I volunteered to help out with the shuffling of kids, but my terrific and fabulous husband told me he would handle it all so I could go and quilt the day away. 
Sometimes I really like living in a small town.  I lived in Chicago for five years and was shocked to see a familiar face in the grocery store once.  Here, I am surprised if I don't run into friends while running out and about.  I learned long ago never to run out for milk in a grubby T-shirt for fear of being in line to pay behind your boss hoping she doesn't recognize you with the strained peas on your shoulder (true story), 
So first I saw the lady who first invited me to come, her husband works with mine and they go to the same church as my best girl friend.  Our husbands often chat about quilting and pass messages back and forth.  She is always very welcoming and wanted to make sure I wasn't feeling left out.  Then a couple of other Moms who are my age showed up.  I recognized one, though I didn't have a name to put with her face.  Turns out our kids all went to school together before we got rezoned and her husband works with mine as well.  Her daughters were there with her, but her son was at the same Lego thing as Kurt and my kids.  She introduced me to her friend whose kids used to go to my school and we were talking about her mom who teaches with me.  Then we realized that she goes to church with my neighbors who were also at the Lego thing because their dad is our other coach. 
She was hanging out with me talking quilting when Suzy came to sew.  I follow her blog, but we've only met once in person.  So we chatted for a while about quilts and such when the original friend who had worked so hard to make me feel welcomed just looked at me with a puzzled face and asked how I knew Suzy of all people.
I love where I live!  Though it isn't truly a small town, it feels that way. I did sew A LOT today, I did not take a single photo though, or sew a stitch on one of my own projects.  I think I will spend a few minutes tonight doing a little cleaning and organization in the sewing room so that I can have a frenzy of sewing tomorrow to make up for it.  I think it sounds like a great plan.   I hope you all had busy and productive days as well. 

8 comments:

Cathy Tomm said...

You should show off some off what you sewed today. Do not forget to take photos even if you do not think of it as your own quilts. Good to hear you got a nice sewing day in. I get a little time on Sunday morning too. Then off to meet the newest family member a 7 yr girl has been adopted by my cousin and his wife.

Kate said...

Sounds like a total sanity building day. Hope you get to sew tomorrow on your stuff.

Andee said...

Awesome! I know just what you mean..makes me miss where I am from!

Suzy said...

*waves*

It was great to get to talk to you in person today! It's so true how it feels like we live in a small town even though we don't. Lol! My back was killing me after the marathon quilting session, but I had a blast. Took some quilts home with me to quilt and will take return them at our next guild meeting. Hope to see you around again. :o)

Amy said...

Yes, yes indeed; a terrific fabulous husband you have!

What a fabulous way to share your talent and time! And now I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Teresa in Music City said...

Ahhh!!! Don't you just love days that seem to come together just the way you want them to? It doesn't happen often - I'm so glad you were able to enjoy yours!

Lynne said...

Sounds like you had a great day! Kurt (like my WM) sounds like a keeper!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great husband...really.
Sounds like a fabulous day!
I just love the quilting community!